Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What is My Purpose?



While worshipping alongside my husband and daughter in our living room this past Friday night, again the Spirit of the Lord spoke a truth I needed to hear.

I had been feeling worthless and without purpose lately. When I was busy mothering back in the 1980’s and ‘90’s, home schooling, and keeping house for my family, I felt significant. My husband and I were vital participants in a local church. Now my children are grown, I contribute nothing financially to the household, and I have no responsibilities to fulfill to a local fellowship group.

I asked my husband if I should look for a job to help with the increase in the cost of living. I was willing to work at the local Wal-Mart (probably one of the very few places hiring people in their fifties). He graciously said, “Absolutely not. When you did work, it was with people we know.” His words confirmed to me that working outside the home is not God’s plan for my life in this season.

So what is my purpose?

That night I heard in my spirit that I was forgetting who I was and that my purpose stems from that identity. My purpose does not generate from what I DO—it emanates from WHO I AM IN CHRIST!

My purpose is the same as ALL children of Yahweh—to worship and fellowship with our Heavenly Father through His Son.

That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship [is] with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. - 1 John 1:3 KJV
That word ‘fellowship’ is translated from the Greek word koinonia and means “communion, intercourse, intimacy” [see Strongs No.G2842]. Our primary calling is to FELLOWSHIP with Jesus Christ and His Father!

God [is] faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. - 1 Corinthians 1:9 KJV
Only in that intimate place of fellowship will you derive your worthiness. In the veil of His presence, you will receive direction and purpose. Even if all He wants is to just spend some time being close to you.

That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; - Philippians 3:10 KJV
HAVE A WONDERFUL RESURRECTION CELEBRATION!

7 comments:

dandelionfleur said...

Lyn, I have gone through a similar questioning period. The novel edits are coming slowly and it was making me feel inadequate. I came to the same conclusion you did. It's not always about doing--it's about being.

May you also have a Beautiful and Blessed Resurrection Day.

Love You,
Lisa

Kim said...

What a good reminder that we are human BEINGS not human DOINGS. When we are in Christ, HIS being is our purpose. Thank you for the reminder of our worth because of who we are not what we do. FROM - Another Christian in her 50's looking for purpose.

Lyn Melvin said...

Lisa, sometimes I think the Lord calls us to be writers so that we will develop...PATIENCE, LONGSUFFERING, and maybe a few other fruit of the spirit! I am blessed to be called your friend.

And, Kim--you always seem to 'say' the right thing--bless you, girl!

Lyn Melvin said...

Because I wanted to send holiday greetings, I emailed this post to a number of beloved people. Many emailed me back. Here is one friend's comment:

Thank u so much for these words of encouragement! I have been feeling the same way. I know God wants me to stop thinking what I can DO but to sometimes just BE in His presence and He will show me the way. I have felt worthless bc I am home basically doing nothing and I wonder what is my calling, but then I remember that book u shared with me a long time ago about the tree and how it goes through all the seasons and storms, etc. I would love to read it sometime but anyways thank u so much for this email u REALLY helped me. Well there u go, I see ur calling ur still ministering to me :)

[My previous post re. the Tree in Winter also refers to the book my friend mentions. I have yet to find it:(]

Lyn Melvin said...

P.S. Actually, the title is 'Winter Life' and it was posted on January 22, 2011. You can find it quickly by clicking on the 'trees' link in the left margin.

Lyn Melvin said...

Another comment from a friend:
"What a great confirmation, as I was just thinking the same thing....again!
While contemplating whether to go to the local Messianic assembly today because it was the Sabbath and Passover week... I felt that I could worship HIM more intimately in my home...and had determined to draw near, as you so expressed well.

Worth? same. and what will HE have me do? Wait on HIM and worship... Going to Israel this week...so excited and hopefully will do something by praying.

Shalom and thanks again for passing on this confirming word, Lyn."

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY! :-) Without God we would not be special! Mom, you are worth a lot to me and you will always be! Thanks again for the encouragement you put out! Now stop leaving tons of comments on your blog! LOL! ;-p JK! Love ya as always!! ~ R xoxxxo