Tuesday, March 15, 2011

This Little [Flash] Light of Mine


I have a small lemon-yellow flashlight that I pack in my suitcase whenever I travel. I have had it for years. It has even been all the way to the other side of the world with me when my husband and I ministered in India.

The last time I used my wee torch (as the British would call it) was the weekend I spent with my sisters at our First Annual Sisters Get Together last spring. There was a thunderstorm that first night, so I pulled my trusty flashlight out and announced that I was placing it on the coffee table of the sitting room in case the electricity went out.

The following morning the coffee table became the post for our kaffee klatsch, so the flashlight was relegated to a new location unbeknownst to me. The thrill of being among such beloved women caused me to forget all about the little beacon…until I was unpacking at home.

“Honey, did you see my yellow flashlight when you brought my luggage in?” I asked my husband. “Nope,” came his perfunctory answer.

I scoured the car after thoroughly emptying my bags and still did not find it. The thought came that I should call the inn and ask them to mail it back to me. The idea of asking the staff to hunt down, package, and mail a $2 flashlight was absurd. Finally, I admitted to myself that my tiny treasure was gone.

In the morning I plodded downstairs to make coffee. I was the first one up. As my manner is, I sipped a glass of water and began opening up the blinds in the living room. On the coffee table of the living room sat—you guessed it—my infamous yellow flashlight.

“My flashlight!” I announced to no one. “Thank you, Lord!” My first thought was to give thanks. But who found it?

This began the second great inquisition as I queried each member of the family who walked into the kitchen. “Did YOU find my flashlight and put it on the coffee table?”

“No, Mom, it wasn’t me.”
“No, Gramma.”
“No, Honey.”
“What flashlight?”
“No, Mimi. Can I play with it?”

When I had asked the last person, I made a happy declaration. “That settles it. An angel of the Lord has returned my flashlight to me!”

Why would the Lord bother to return my flashlight? At first I looked for a deep meaning behind it. But I think He did it just because He wanted to. Just to bless me. But it’s something I will never forget. Perhaps He simply wants me to always expect the miraculous and to remember to let my little light shine. Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 5:16 KJV


P.S. I am called to intercede for God's women. Please leave a comment or email me with any prayer concerns. It is an honor to pray for you!

2 comments:

dandelionfleur said...

What a great story--and you told it like a professional writer:).

Lyn Melvin said...

Thanks, Lisa. Glory to our great God!