Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Remember I Love You

Everyone has a favorite holiday or season of the year. Our Creator was the originator of that idea, of course. He outlined several special occasions beginning in Leviticus 23 with the major festivals. Each one has historical, Messianic, and spiritual significance, but for simplicity I will list only the Messianic fulfillment of each:

Passover (Pesach) Death of The Lamb of God
Unleavened Bread (Hag HaMatzah) Burial of Yeshua, our Jesus
First Fruits (Bikkurim) Resurrection of Jesus
Pentecost (Shavuot) Pouring out of the Holy Spirit
Trumpets (Rosh HaShanah/Yom Teruah) Resurrection of the believers
Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) The day of the Messiah's second coming
Tabernacles (Sukkot) The Messianic Era/Millennium

Above information taken from The Seven Festivals of the Lord by Edward Chumney. His excellent website can be found at http://www.hebroots.org/

Why are these important? Why is your favorite holiday important? These are special occasions where we want to REMEMBER SOMETHING GOOD and CELEBRATE IT! The festivals of the Lord were given to us to understand the coming of the Messiah and His role in redeeming man back to God following the fall of man in Genesis. Our Heavenly Father wants us to remember how much He loves us. His love is so immense that He set forth a plan of redemption and restoration giving the precious life of His only begotten Son.

I'm not going to go into depth regarding all the feasts in one post, but I did want to share my thoughts on The Feast of Trumpets which, according to my calendar, begins tonight. At this season I find myself thinking of those who have gone before me--those in my family who are asleep in death awaiting the trumpet blast of I Thessalonians 4:16--


For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first...

The youngest of these is my nephew DJ who died just before turning five years old. I would like to acknowledge him today by telling you of the book his mother Linda Blechinger wrote regarding this time in her and her family's life, Mourning to Morning. Linda at first self published the book but now is in the process of having an expanded version coming out through a publishing house. Linda gives a Godly perspective to grieving and is a wise counselor to those who are mourning. If you would like to get in touch with her, she can be reached through her site at http://mourn2morn.blogspot.com/

Where would we be without Jesus? I shudder to think. But during this Feast of Trumpets, I'm going to celebrate that He gave me hope of eternal life! 1 Corinthians 15:55 KJV - O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

3 comments:

dandelionfleur said...

Wonderfully poignant post, Lyn. You always give me so much to think about. May God bless your endeavors.

Lyn Melvin said...

Thank you Lisa for the encouraging words--I needed them!

Kim said...

Hi Lyn ----I love to read what you write ---keep it up. Love, Kim