Monday, September 13, 2010

The Vine


I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.


My husband Tom and I went to a winery recently. The day was perfect. We had a simple picnic in the shade near the grapevines which were still bearing their deep purple fruit. There is something about the setting of a vineyard that is so satisfying.

As our Messiah walked and talked with the people of His time, He used many agricultural analogies such as this one from John chapter 15 because Israel was an agrarian society. One does not need to be a farmer, however, to understand that a branch of a plant or tree must remain connected with the main stem or trunk in order to survive. If we as God's people could only grasp this truth and retain it!
One morning after moving into a new house I was in the bedroom praying. I felt the pressure to hurry, but pushed it aside as I knelt down among the stacks of still unpacked boxes surrounding me.

My manner is to simply take time to be with Him in the morning. To seek the Lord's face. Sometimes the Spirit of the Lord will lead me to read a specific section of scripture or to intercede for a certain person or situation. Or we simply love on one another heart to heart. I never know what will happen.

"Lord, here I am."
Almost immediately I heard, "Daughter, I want you to go see Carol this morning."

I popped my head up above the boxes and said out loud, "Really?!" I was so delighted with my 'assignment' that I didn't ask why I was to see this new friend. I simply went. It turned out that my new neighbor was badly in need of encouragement and I had the privilege of ministering to her.
Just as the children of Israel were to follow the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night, we are today to follow the Spirit of God in all we do. As we continue to take every thought captive to Christ, we abide in His presence--we are allowing Him to be the vine.
Abiding in His presence--now that is satisfying--and fulfilling. The promise that goes along with this is amazing~~
If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you,
ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

2 comments:

dandelionfleur said...

I love the way you hear God's voice--and then obey!

Lyn Melvin said...

Lisa, thanks for your kind words. If it seems that I hear and obey consistently, well...God Himself only knows for sure! HA!