Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Trial Duty


Shouldn't that title be 'Jury Duty'? No, but let me explain...

Like a multitude of other families, we live in an area severely affected economically. This has hit close to home now to the point where I realize we are truly going to have to walk by faith in order to continue paying for what are considered 'basic bills' here in America--water, electricity, gas, home-health-auto insurances etc. Oh, and let's not forget groceries!

This is not something entirely new to me. In the very first year of our marriage, I was forced to stop working early due to a car accident resulting in the premature birth of our first child. (I share this story and the harrowing tales of my other two pregnancies in The Mommy Manual. Click here.)

Financial help was short in supply and our own auto insurance company was trying to pin the blame for the accident on us so that they wouldn't have to pay us! (The other driver was a minor who ran the light and smashed into us at high speed totalling our car. It was a miracle Tom and I and our unborn survived.)

The thought of having to live through a time similar to that pulled me down into a dark place--a place I did not want to go. Like David in Psalms, I poured my heart out to my Heavenly Father. I was led to read in I Corinthians beginning in Chapter 9, but kept reading the next chapter. A verse that had been of great encouragement to me in the past was there like an old friend to greet me again~

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man:but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 KJV

This verse if powerful once you better understand the word 'temptation'. It was translated from the Greek word peirasmos and means 'trial, proof'. What a promise!

No trial will come upon you that any other person hasn't already gone through. God is faithful and will not allow you to be proved beyond what you can bear and will make a way for you to come up out of the trial, so that you may be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 LOV (Lyn's Own Version)

As I write this, I am remembering two specific things the Lord did for us that difficult year. I received a check for $200 unexpectedly from the State with a note claiming that I had overpaid my taxes. This was the exact amount we were short that month in order to pay the rent! Another incident was that we found groceries sitting outside our apartment door, although we had not told anyone of our plight.

Again, like David, I am thankful to remember how my God is faithful. He has delivered us through the fire before, so I know I can trust Him to come through for us once again.
[Note: The LOV is based on studying the words according to the Young's Analytical Concordance.]

3 comments:

Carol J. Alexander said...

Oh Lyn, such a timely testimony. So many people here are struggling and yet it seems that others are oblivious. In my Bible reading this morning this verse jumped off the page at me: "Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth." Lk 12:15
When I find myself struggling with discontent, I meditate on those in other countries with dirt floors, cooking over a fire. Then I can say, if I must go without electricity, I must, God will still reign.
Let's keep each other (and others) in prayer.

Lyn Melvin said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Carol. I dare say that America will see many firsts within her borders where covetousness will not be able to reside. Yes, yes, I will keep you and yours in prayer and others as the Spirit leads!

Kim said...

GOOD WORD! and reminder of God's faithfulness in the face of every trial including financial. Thanks for sharing your heart,Lyn,and your life stories that teach & encourage others.