Friday, August 20, 2010

Mental Illness--Hope and Forgiveness

As is true for everyone, there are so many aspects to my life that require me to depend on the Spirit of Christ in order to endure. When I was a child and not yet born again of God's Spirit, my parents divorced due to my father suffering with mental illness. This left my mother with five children to care for--I was the eldest daughter. From time to time we would visit with our Dad. As you can imagine, I did not have a close relationship with him. I loved him, but I did not really know him. So when he died I did not know whether he was saved or not.

Several years later, I had an encounter with Father God. I was in my hidden place worshipping and I heard Him say, "Soon it will be Father's Day."

"Yes, Lord, I know." In truth I was relieved that I no longer had to go to the store to try and find the 'right' Father's Day card. Of course, my Heavenly Father knew my thoughts, but I was not prepared for what my loving God then said.

"Your Dad wants you to know that he is sorry that he could not be the father you deserved."

I broke into tears and cried out, "I forgive you, Dad. Be released! Be released in Jesus' name! I love you!" In the spirit, I could see a balloon rising up to the heavenlies as though Yahweh wanted me to see that my words went up to my Dad and were received. I received much release within myself as well. Not only did this encounter heal me of much childhood wounding, but I realized that my Dad had made Jesus Lord and was with Him in Heaven.

This experience came at a much-needed time for me, because my husband Tom and I had been taking care of one of our teenaged children who had also been diagnosed with mental illness. We have endured much hardship because of this, but our child has endured even more.

My husband and I believe mental illness can be healed through Christ Jesus, our Yahshua. Two summers ago we heard the testimony of a man who was healed from schizophrenia by the sovereign Hand of God. One morning as I was working as a temporary receptionist at a nearby firm, the Spirit of the Lord dropped hope into my spirit. He told me that my child would be healed but that it was not yet time.

I praise God for His mercies are new every day! And I praise Him for the sure hope we have in the return of Jesus Christ when the ultimate healing occurs as we are clothed with our new bodies.

How has the Lord upgirded you through a troubled time in your life? Please feel free to comment or ask me about enduring through difficulties.

James 5:11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

2 comments:

dandelionfleur said...

That's a powerful testimony, Lyn! I have problems of my own--don't we all?--but can find inspiration in your words about your situation. Thanks for being so open.

Linda B said...

Lyn, thanks for sharing your heart, that was very touching and I am sure will bring hope to many.

God is faithful!
Linda