Tuesday, December 21, 2010

In Season, Out of Season

The doorbell rang so I headed for the front foyer. My grandson was already there to get the door, though, for he was expecting the neighbor to come over. He let his friend in and then scrunching his face up and nodding towards the candelabrum sitting nearby blurted, “What’s that for?” It was the holiday season and I had decked the halls with Christmas decorations and also with a nine-branched menorah associated with the festival of Hanukkah.

Instantly I knew what this ten-going-on-twenty-year older was up to.
It grieved my heart that my own grandson, who was temporarily living with us, despised our beliefs. He had spent other Christmases with us and already knew why I included this special candlestick in my holiday décor. He purposely asked me this question in front of the neighbor boy hoping to catch me off guard. But I was ready*.

“That is a menorah used for the Festival of Light. It is to celebrate Jesus Christ who is The Light of the World.” Before I could finish my sentence, the boys were gone.

Despite his scornful attitude, I will continue to give an answer to his questions in the hope that one day he will remember and believe.

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season;
reprove, rebuke, exhort
with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2 Timothy 4:2 KJV

We as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ are to be ready at any time to speak the Word of Truth. This I am usually prepared for, but please pray for me as I am challenged when it comes to the “longsuffering” part.



*Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you...1 Peter 3:15

3 comments:

Carol J. Alexander said...

Just keep loving him, Lyn. And praying! Have a blessed Christmas, Carol

Kim said...

I love the scripture verse you gave reference to --"be ready in season and out". My heart feels what your heart feels not only for family but people all around. There is one thing I do know though ---the devil is scared of praying Grandmas! I will join you in continued prayer for the Light to illuminate you grandson's mind.

Linda B said...

You are the testimony, love is the conduit of a true witness of Christ! Your precious grandson was born into your family with the full intention of salvation. Many deep waters can not quench love!!
Love you, Linda