Tuesday, September 28, 2010

How I Get What I Want

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find;
knock, and it shall be opened unto you: - Matthew 7:7 KJV


How do I get what I want? I nag. There is a time for nagging. What? you say. But what about Proverbs 27:15--A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike.



Let me explain. When I was a young wife and new mother, I went to visit a friend who was a grandmother. I left our four-month old son with my husband for what was to be a half-day vacation for me but turned out to be only a two-hour break (need I say more?). It was a pivotal day for me though, for in our conversation my friend Bev advised, "Never nag your husband. Nag the Lord instead." This has turned out to be some of the best life-long advice I ever received.

Matthew 7:7-8 says- Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

There is something to be said about consistently seeking the Lord about something that is on your heart.
 
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much James 5:16 records.


Luke 18:1 reads - And he spake a parable unto them [to this end], that men ought always to pray, and not to faint...

The first memorable time I put this knowledge to use was the time I believed we should buy our first house. My husband Tom and I had purchased a mobile home but were renting the lot it sat on. It was only a matter of time before our mobile home would be too old for it to remain on the lot. I mentioned to Tom that I thought it would be a good time to purchase a small house and then I said no more. I remembered the sage advice of my friend and did not nag my husband!

For about a month (maybe less than that) I sought Father God in the name of Jesus Christ to work within my husband regarding this desire of my heart. I was resigned to God's will in the matter and to submit to His timing.

To my surprise within that short span of time, Tom did what I had been praying for by handing me the newspaper one day and saying, "Honey, why don't you see what you can find in the way of houses for sale since I don't have the time. You do the foot work and then we'll go together to see what you have found." Inside myself I was dancing and jumping up and down for joy--it worked! Nagging the Lord worked!

To be honest I don't always get what I want. However, God's Word is true. If we align our desires with His will, our prayers will be answered in His perfect timing. 














3 comments:

dandelionfleur said...

This made me laugh in addition to giving me something new to think about. Sam will NOT be nagged again. Watch out, Lord, here I come:)

dandelionfleur said...

Oh, and great title to your blog!

Lyn Melvin said...

Thanks again, Lisa, for your encouraging comments. Know anybody else who would appreciate reading this post?